Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Shallow or Overly Sensitive?

I'm not sure if this blog post is going to be more ranting or more of a general observation.  I've been noticing lately that people have become so fixated on looks that they have become entirely inconsiderate of the things that come out of their mouths.  I'm not surprised and I don't want to reprimand anyone because people are entitled to their opinion.

I know that media portrays a specific look.  And I know almost every woman sits down and compares herself to Heidi Klum or Megan Fox, those women who turn every head and seem so glamorous and enamored by all.  Don't get me wrong, these women are just that and I am on the same page in thinking they are gorgeous.  But we neglect the other beautiful women just because they are not size 0's that everyone wants to have sex with.

I won't lie she's hott, total girl crush but that's not the point.


Why is it that we don't put girls who are over 120 lbs on magazine covers or feature plus sized models?  Women are beautiful in all aspects, we cannot all be perfect barbie dolls who look like we were manufactured in a factory.  We've made things out to be negative: pale, curvy, too tall, stick figure, freckles, curly hair (I remember when everyone would ask me why I didn't straighten mine every day) etc. etc. there are so many.  Everyone has a beauty.  I'm putting up a picture of Crystal Renn, who is now a plus sized model (size 16) who was a model before and had suffered for many years from an eating disorder so that she would be found attractive.

I truly think she is beautiful. 

The main problem is that we've conditioned ourselves to have a really messed up sense of beauty, to treat women as objects instead of people with feelings.  I'm not saying this is everyone, or that it is an overwhelming majority, it is just something I have noticed recently.  From friends comments, banter between friends, hearsay to Facebook statuses etc. etc.
 
I'm going to just shine a light on the fact that I'm not the thinnest person, but I know that I am pretty. My confidence isn't rock solid, but I am proud of who I am and what I have done in my life.  My heart is always in the right place and I'm consistently looking for ways to make people happy.  However, as much as I hear about all those great things you hear people say "if only she was thinner etc. etc."  I won't deny that I could be in better shape, but I'm not going to starve myself to make someone like me.  I am a strong, stubborn, loving, bubbly and dedicated woman.  I'm going to state that if you don't like it, well then your damn loss because I promise you will not meet someone who does half the things I do.  That is a direct shout out to a few guys of recent, have fun with vapid ladies.

Okay okay, maybe the above statement sounded partially conceited, not my intent but I've been frustrated with people lately.  There is a detrimental aspect to being overly shallow when it comes to getting to know people and mainly it falls under not giving someone the chance to shine and show who they are, but also denying yourself the ability to see the exquisiteness of someone under a pre-concieved, society approved notion of acceptable beauty.  So, in risk of being totally shut down do you think that people are too shallow or that I'm being overly sensitive?

No comments:

Post a Comment